(Fort McMurray, AB – February 24, 2021) – The Wood Buffalo 2022 Arctic Winter Games Host Society is excited to launch Your Time to Shine Community Scavenger Hunts for Wood Buffalo residents from March 6-12, 2021.
The Urban Service Area (Fort McMurray) event will include puzzles to solve at seven different 2022 AWG venue locations across the community, which will lead to a final clue to decode. Similar community scavenger hunts will also be held in Fort Chipewyan, Fort McKay, Saprae Creek, Anzac, Janvier and Conklin.
“We are excited to provide residents with a fun, family-friendly event to help them create memories in their own backyards,” said Nicole Bourque-Bouchier, Co-chair of the Wood Buffalo 2022 Arctic Winter Games Host Society Board of Director. “The scavenger hunt is a great way to learn more about the history of the Games, participating contingents and our culture in a safe way that all ages can enjoy.”
Urban Service Area:
The Urban Service Area – Your Time to Shine Community Scavenger Hunt is a free event and can be completed any time between March 6-12, 2021.
- Participants must register before they begin at awg2022.org and the first 100 registrants will receive a gift bag. One gift bag will be provided per registration.
- Clues are designed so participants can stay in their vehicle for the duration of the hunt.
- Scavenger hunt parking signs will be placed at each location to confirm you are in the correct area.
- All completed entries will be eligible to win one of three prize baskets which includes:
– One grand prize basket with AirPods and official Games merchandise
– Two prize baskets with cellphone photo printers and official Games’ merchandise.
Rural Hamlet – Your Time to Shine Community Scavenger Hunts are free events coordinated through local volunteers in each community, event dates may vary.
- Rural hamlet participants can find more information about their designated community volunteer at awg2022.org.
- Registration can be completed through the designated community volunteer. The first 25 people to register per rural hamlet will receive a gift bag. One gift bag will be provided per registration.
- All completed entries will be eligible to win one grand prize basket per rural hamlet which includes a pair of show shoes, Games merchandise, snacks and winter supply bundle.
All scavenger hunt participants must follow Alberta Health Services COVID-19 guidelines.
“An international event of this scale would not be possible without the support of our community, stakeholders and partners, with that in mind the Host Society was inspired to create a COVID-19 safe activity for residents to recognize their continued commitment to the Games,” Bourque-Bouchier added.
Follow the Wood Buffalo 2022 Arctic Winter Games on social media throughout the scavenger hunt week for bonus entry opportunities. The Your Time to Shine Community Scavenger Hunts were designed with the support of local business, Mr. E’s Solve It Torium YMM.
The Arctic Winter Games is an international biennial celebration of circumpolar sports and culture taking place from March 6-12, 2022. The Games will highlight the region and its culture through the spirit of sport to an international audience and visitors from around the world. The week-long event will see athletes from our own backyard along with international Circumpolar north regions during their time to shine.
Media Inquiries: email@example.com