TRUTH AND RECONCILIATION
The Wood Buffalo 2023 Arctic Winter Games Host Society is committed to following in the path of Truth and Reconciliation and has chosen Calls to Action #87, #91 and Beyond 94 to follow on our path to hosting the Games.
- CTA #87 – We call upon all levels of government, in collaboration with the Aboriginal peoples, sports halls of fame, and other relevant to organizations, to provide public education that tells the national story of Aboriginal athletes’ history.
- CTA #91 – We call upon the officials and host communities of international sporting events such as the Olympics, Pan Am, and Commonwealth Games to ensure that Indigenous peoples’ territorial protocols are respected, and local Indigenous communities are engaged in all aspects of planning and participating in such events.
- Beyond 94 – Infusing culture wherever we can respectfully.
As part of the Pin Program, the Host Society has developed a
Truth and Reconciliation pin series. One of the three pins in the series, the Truth and Reconciliation pin, was developed in 2020.
The pin showcases the symbols for the Seven Sacred Teachings, which we have adopted as our guiding principles, and moccasins with our calls to action we are highlighting on the vamps. These moccasins represent walking in a path forward to reconciliation and fully supporting and respecting calls 87 and 91.
This limited-edition pin will only be available at events and activities honoring Truth and Reconciliation within the region.
Learn more about Truth and Reconciliations efforts in Canada, including all 94 Call to Actions.
- 94 Calls to Action
- Principles of Truth and Reconciliation
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples