The Arctic Winter Games are coming to Wood Buffalo from January 29 – February 4, 2023, and we need your help to make them a success!
Be one of the estimated 2,000 people needed to fill a variety of roles both before and during the Games, assisting in areas such as ticketing, signage, installation, merchandise sales, sport and cultural event support.
Through the Games and the Volunteer Program powered by ATCO, we hope you’ll join us to contribute to a lasting legacy of volunteerism in the region and create memories for years to come.
MESSAGE FROM DIRECTOR OF VOLUNTEERS
If you are reading this message, it means you have either registered, or are considering registering, for a volunteer position. For this, we would like to give a resounding “THANK YOU”. For the Wood Buffalo 2023 Arctic Winter Games to be a success, we need many hands and hearts to help make this a successful event.
However, it isn’t all about what we need from you, there is so much you gain with the donation of your time: building community, making new friends, being a part of a monumental event, getting some cool Wood Buffalo 2023 Arctic Winter Games gear and having lots of fun while doing so!
“Thank you” will never be enough, but we appreciate every one of you and the donation of your time. We look forward to seeing you at our events and welcoming you as a part of our volunteer crew.
~ Jen Kennett
Volunteers, it’s our Time to Shine!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW...
- Each volunteer will be required to abide by the Host Society’s Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest and Volunteer Policy.
- Volunteers will also need to attend a general orientation session, role-specific training and clothing and accreditation pick-up, prior to Games time.
- All roles will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check. Certain roles will require additional screening measures such as a Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Each volunteer who works two shifts, approximately eight hours, will receive a uniform package, volunteer orientation, role-specific training, recognition at ceremonies and an invitation to volunteer recognition events.
- Volunteers between the ages of 13-17 can volunteer with guardian consent and supervision.
We are issuing a challenge to all small/local businesses in our region to send volunteers to support the Games.
This challenge will have several winners for the top businesses with the highest percentage of employees registered in our Games Event Management System. (GEMS).
Opportunities available may include:
- Sports specific
- And more!
Prizes include a gift certificate for Arctic Winter Games Merchandise and public recognition at our Volunteer Appreciation event on February 4.
All volunteers who attend general orientation and sign up for two or more shifts will receive the volunteer uniform of a jacket, long-sleeve shirt, and pin.
Here are your next steps:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in joining this volunteer challenge by December 1st
- Include your number of employees at your company and the main person of contact
Send a photo of your team’s “Game Face” by December 10 and we will post it on our social media channels – @woodbuffalo2023
- Encourage your staff to register to volunteer at https://awg2023.gems.pro/ before Dec 10.
- Send a list of your employees who have registered to email@example.com
- When Smart Sign up goes live, have your staff sign up for shifts that work for their schedule.
Thank you again for your interest in the Arctic Winter Games, we look forward to hearing from you!