(Fort McMurray, AB – November 4, 2022) – The Wood Buffalo 2023 Arctic Winter Games Host Society unveiled 35 Indigenous Sport Gallery Honourees during an Honouree Dinner at the Fort McMurray Golf Club Thursday evening marking 87 days out from the Games.
87 Days Out reflects Truth and Reconciliation Call to Action #87, which the Indigenous Sport Gallery pays tribute to.
CTA #87 – We call upon all levels of government, in collaboration with the Aboriginal peoples, sports halls of fame, and other relevant to organizations, to provide public education that tells the national story of Aboriginal athletes’ history.
Individuals were nominated and recognized for their balance of well-being within their lives and communities in three categories: Local Legend, Athlete and Community Builder.
Indigenous Sport Gallery Honourees include:
- Lawrence Bull Powder – Fort McKay First Nation
- Keanan Cardinal – Mikisew Cree First Nation
- Julien Cardinal – Fort Chipewyan Métis
- Albert Nokohoo – Chipewyan Prairie First Nation
- Danny Lindstrom – Fort McMurray 468 First Nation
- Mike Cardinal – Fort McMurray Métis
- Dawson King – Hay River Métis
- Detonaze Paulette – Smith’s Landing First Nation
- Connor Tuccaro – Mikisew Cree First Nation
- Mae-Belle Fraser – Mikisew Cree First Nation
- Mason Wanderingspirit – Mikisew Cree First Nation
- Cash Brebant – Mikisew Cree First Nation
- Ryder Carroll – Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation
- Brielle Mercredi – Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation
- Arianna Perreault – Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation
- Corbin Cyprien – Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation
- Tayden Shott – Fort McKay First Nation
- Alicia Gladue Fort McKay First Nation
- Jayden Shott – Fort McKay Métis Nation
- Ben Asadi – Fort McKay Métis Nation
- Bear Croucher – Fort McMurray 468 First Nation
- Presley Hodgson – Fort McMurray 468 First Nation
- Riley Bourque – Willow Lake Métis Nation
- Landon Bourque – Willow Lake Métis Nation
- Lucas Thompson – Fort McMurray Métis
- Shania Desjarlais – Conklin Metis Local 193
- Skye Quintal-Janvier – Chipewyan Prairie First Nation
- Dustin Nokohoo – Chipewyan Prairie First Nation
- Verna Quintal-Janvier – Conklin Métis Local 193
- Shay Laurent – Fort McKay First Nation
- Bernadette Dumais – Fort McMurray 468 First Nation
- Angela Marcel – Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation
- Nathan Whiteknife – Mikisew Cree First Nation
- Judy Ann Cardinal – Fort Chipewyan Métis Nation
Regional Community Builder
- David Bouchier, Fort McKay First Nation
Nicole Bourque-Bouchier, Mikisew Cree First Nation
The Host Society will create the Indigenous Sport Gallery inspired by the stories of the honourees and it will travel throughout Wood Buffalo during the 2023 Arctic Winter Games and other cultural events.
The Arctic Winter Games is an international biennial celebration of circumpolar sports and culture taking place in the Wood Buffalo region from January 29 – February 4, 2023. The Games will highlight the region and its culture through the spirit of sport to an international audience and visitors from around the world. The week-long event will see participants from our own backyard along with international circumpolar North regions during their Time to Shine.
The criteria for the Indigenous Sport Gallery categories include:
- Local Legend: Indigenous community Local Legends who have passed on to the spirit world, contributed to the development of sport within their community, promoted well-being within their community, and their contribution to sport and well-being within their community is an inspiring legacy.
- Athlete: Have demonstrated great skill, effort and passion for their chosen sport, are a positive mentor for well-being and sport within their community and currently participate in a sport at any level.
- Community Builder: Contributes to sport and well-being as a mentor within their community, supports the development and growth of athletes within their community and demonstrates admirable values and personal characteristics.
- Regional Community Builder: Contributes to sport and well-being as a mentor and supports the development and growth of athletes on a regional level. Demonstrate admirable values and personal characteristics.
Media Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org